Discovery Museum, Tyne and Wear
1900 – 1945
In 1927 a chemist named William Owen invented a drink called Glucozade in his shop in Barras Bridge, Newcastle.
The glucose drink was designed to give energy to sick people recovering from illnesses such as colds or flu. It was used by hospitals throughout Britain.
The name was changed to Lucozade in 1929 and became a symbol of recovery. In the 1980s it was rebranded as a sports energy drink rather than a brand associated with illness.
Invention by William Owen
On display at Discovery Museum, ground floor Newcastle Story Gallery (1950s era), Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Web Design Indigo